- Presentation given by Kyle Hartzel to Oberlin faculty (3/21/2019).
PPTX file. Won’t open directly. Will download.
- Article providing assignment learning goals and assessment
- Sample rubrics
- Teaching Podcasting: A Curriculum Guide for Educators – NPR Nov, 2018
- Project Audio: Teaching Students How to Produce Their Own Podcasts – NYT April, 2018
- Basic Podcasting assignment resources from Penn State
- Tips and strategies for building a podcasting assignment that does more than embrace the trendy – Bello Collective Aug, 2018
- Release Forms —
Tools for creating podcasts (audio files)
Some suggestions for those interested in creating a ‘podcast’ (audio) assignment for their students.
Have students create a script (double-spaced, 1 page is about 1 minute)
Easiest tool to use is either Audacity (free download / Garage Band (comes on all Macs). Here are some useful tutorials for using these tools.
Submitting and grading the assignment
The best way to have students submit the podcast and script is through Blackboard Journal. The beauty of this mechanism is that you can quickly go through each one AND the submissions can be made available to the students after everyone has turned in their assignments by simply editing 1 journal setting.
Get into journal settings:
Check the appropriate box so that students can see each other’s work:
Rubric can be added to the assignment to help provide clarity for students.