There are many ways to engage students in class, one can create better ways to present material, ask direct questions, create small group activities, employ ‘active learning’ techniques, mix teaching styles, use polling tools …
This post addresses tools for polling your students. There are hardware solutions, solutions that work via mobile devices and those that work as hybrids.
Some options for polling in classes
- plickers – probably the simplest and cheapest way to set up class polling. Your phone is used to collect responses, each student has a card with encrypted A, B, C and D answers. The cards can be printed from the website. Both app and cards are free.
- iClickers – Standard around Oberlin used by a number of faculty.
- Socrative by MasteryConnect – web interface (Chrome web browser), mobile apps
- Poll everywhere – txt messaging polls
- Turning technologies – polling and response systems. Similar to iClickers