Scheduling Appointments with Students in Bb
Instructors can use an Appointment Schedule tool to create time slots for appointments. This provides a mechanism for students to sign-up for appointments in their course site! Canceling appointments is made easy in that the instructor simply needs to click 1 button to cancel the appointment and send an email to the student telling them to reschedule.
How to set up your appointment
1. Go to your course or organization site.
2. Make sure the Edit Mode button is set to “On”.
3. Select the + button above the course/org. menu. Select “Create Tool Link”.
4. A new pop-up menu appears. In the ‘Type of Tool’ drop down menu, select AppointmentsEX. If you don’t see it as an option, it has probably been turned off in your course. See below for instructions on how to turn it back on. Give the appointments area in your menu a name and make it Available to Users by checking the box. Select Submit.
5. Click on the menu area you just added for your appointments and click either “Manage Existing Appointments or Create New Appointments”.
6. Select a date for your appointment and determine a start/end time in option.
7. For item 2, determine how long each appointment should be. This will create blocks of time for the time frame you determined in item 1.
8. For item 3, determine whether these appointments should be available for only this course or for all courses in which you are an instructor/assistant. For these appointments to appear in the other courses, you will still need to add a link in the main menu.
9. Click Submit.
10. Repeat steps 6-9 for as many blocks of time for which you need to schedule appointments.
How do students sign-up?
1. Students can click the link from the main menu and then click the name of the instructor or assistant with whom they are trying to schedule an appointment.
2. Once they click the name of the instructor or assistant, they will be presented with the list of available time slots:
3. To schedule an appointment, the student would click the “Sign-Up” button for the time they would like to reserve.
4. This automatically reserves the time slot for the student and presents a new screen that allows the student to input a short comment to the instructor. This is intended for instructors who would like students to provide some info (100 characters) without receiving an additional email. Students would add the comment and click the button “Add Comment” to add it to the appointment.
5. Students and instructors can cancel appointments. If an instructor wishes to cancel an appointment which is already taken, an email will be sent to the student to notify them of the cancellation and they will be able to sign up for another appointment (do this through the manage appointments link). If a student wishes to cancel an appointment, they need to provide a reason for the cancellation and click the Cancel button. This will send the instructor a cancellation notice via email.
Turning the AppointmentEX tool on in your course.
- Go to the Control Panel in the lower left corner of the course and click on the CUSTOMIZATION link.
- Under this menu, click on TOOL AVAILABILITY. Check to be sure that the Appointments tool is check marked and click SUBMIT.