Using the Smartevals course evaluation system (information for AAs/Chairs)
N.B.: SmartEvals will open multiple tabs so that you can move between screens of information without using the back button on the browser.
TEACHING AND WANT TO SEE YOU RESULTS: You can switch to an instructor view to see eval results for courses you are teaching. To do so, click on Account>>Switch to Instructor View.
Getting to the SmartEvals system:
- Go to Blackboard (http://blackboard.oberlin.edu) and log in using your ObieID.
Your ObieID is 8 characters. It is not your email (e.g. email@example.com), nor is it your alias (firstname.lastname@example.org) or T#. Mine would be aborroni. Use the same password used to log in to your oberlin.edu email.
- Once in Blackboard, click on the Survey tab/link at the top of the page and then click on the ‘Login to SmartEvals’ link.
Before releasing evals to students
As soon as the courses have been entered into our online evaluation system, Dept Heads (chairs and AAs) and faculty can view the courses that will be evaluated using SmartEvals. If a course doesn’t show up in the list, be sure to have paper copies ready.
Confirm courses, enrollments and question sets
Once in SmartEvals
- Preview upcoming evaluations. Click on ‘Preview Course Evaluations’ to see all the courses that will be evaluated by the online system.
- Selecting the ‘See Question sets assigned’ will show the titles of the question sets that were assigned to these courses.
- You will probably need to select the correct Evaluation Period.
- There are 4 clickable options:
1) ‘See’ View as students would see it. Rather useful.
2) ‘PDF’ View as pdf. Can be printed and handed out. Not too useful
3) Should allow access to ‘teacher info’ for that particular course but will tell you that you don’t have access to edit this base course. Email email@example.com if something needs to be changed.
4) ‘Sec’ refers to Section of the course — opens up more information about the course. The links on this page will tell you don’t have access to edit this base course. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if something needs to be changed.
After the close of the evaluation period
viewing, collecting, & collating results
AA or Dept Chair can display results from anyone in their department in two ways:
- as collated data for a particular course.
- each student’s responses to all the questions. (Individual Responses).
Collecting collated data for a given course
- Assuming you are logged in.
- Select Reports from the top of the page.
- Select ‘Email PDF Reports’ or ‘Download PDF Reports’ in the drop down menu.
- In the next window find the person whose evaluations you want to download by selecting the appropriate options in the drop-down menu.
- Be sure the comments AND custom report is selected.
- By default 1 pdf for each coursen will be created. If you want all reports in 1 PDF, select the ‘Group reports into 1 PDF’ option. This option only appears when emailing reports. It is the default when ‘downloading’ reports i.e. downloaded reports will have ALL the selected instructors in 1 pdf.
- Select ‘All’ or some subset of courses.
- Click on the ‘Email’ or ‘Download’ button.
Collecting INDIVIDUAL Student Reports — view/download the individual submissions (similar format to the paper submissions)
- Go to Reports>>Survey Results
- Click on the ‘Arts and Science’ or ‘Conservatory’ link in the column titled ‘Division.’
- Click on the Department link in the column titled ‘Course Dept.’
- Click on the graph icon in front of the course for which you want to download the data.
- Click on the ‘Individual Evaluations’ at the top of the page.
- Select (tired of saying ‘click on’) the option to ‘Export to PDF.’ WAIT while SmartEvals does its thing. Look in download folder.
Unfortunately, these can only be done one course at a time.